Robot assisted minimally invasive surgery using local magnetic actuation
Project Leader: Denny Oetomo
Staff: Alireza Mohammadi, Ying Tan
Student: Florence Leong
Collaborators: Dhan Thiruchelvam (Medicine), Pietro Valdastri (STORM, Leeds University), Nicolo Garbin (STORM, Vanderbilt University)
Primary Contact: Denny Oetomo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Keywords: magnetic actuation; minimally invasive surgery; surgical robots
Disciplines: Mechanical Engineering
Domains: Convergence of engineering and IT with the life sciences
This project aims to improve the dexterity available to a robot-assisted minimally invasive surgery. Specifically, the project investigates the role of magnetic device and magnetic linkages to actuate surgical devices across the abdominal wall for abdominal surgery, hence the term "Local Magnetic Actuation (LMA)".
This research is carried out in collaboration with Vanderbilt University (Prof. Pietro Valdastri) and St Vincent's Hospital (Dr Dhan Thiruchelvam).
- F Leong, N Garbin, C Di Natali, A Mohammadi, D Thiruchelvam, D Oetomo and P Valdastri, Magnetic Surgical Instruments for Robotic Abdominal Surgery, IEEE Reviews of Biomedical Engineering, accepted Oct 2015 (In press). postprint: pdf
- A Mohammadi, C Di Natali, D Samsonas, P Valdastri, Y Tan, D Oetomo, Electromagnetic Actuator across Abdominal Wall for Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery, ASME Journal of Medical Devices, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 090337, 2015.
- C Di Natali, A Mohammadi, D Oetomo, P Valdastri, Surgical Robotic Manipulator Based on Local Magnetic Actuation, ASME Journal of Medical Devices, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 090336, 2015.
- H Gu, M Bain, CJ Yen, S Fang, F Leong, A Mohammadi, P Valdastri, D Oetomo, Local Magnetic Actuation Based Laparoscopic Camera for Minimally Invasive Surgery, in Procs. Australian Conference on Robotics and Automation, Canberra, 2-4 Dec 2015.
- A Mohammadi, D Samsonas, C Di Natali, P Valdastri, Y Tan, D Oetomo, Speed control of non-collocated stator-rotor synchronous motor with application in robotic surgery, 10th Asian Control Conference, Kota Kinabalu 31 May - 3 June 2015.